Latest Events

No events

Student Aid Programs

Federal Aid Programs


Federal Pell GrantFederal Pell Grants are awarded to students on the basis of financial need and do not have to be repaid. These grants are considered the foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree.

In December 2011, President Obama signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112-74). This law has significantly impacted the Pell Grant Program. Beginning in Fall 2012, Students are now limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant. Students who are currently receiving the Pell Grant in the academic year 2011-2012 and who have already used 600% of their Pell Grant eligibility will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant starting Fall 2012.

Q: How do I know if this affects me? 
A: If you have attended college for 4 years or longer*, and have been receiving the Pell Grant each year, you may have already exhausted your lifetime limit of 12 semesters of Pell Grant eligibility.

If you have attended college and received the Pell Grant for 3 years or less you will most likely be eligible to receive a Pell grant during the 2012-2013 school year.**

*Students with a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to receive a Pell Grant. 
**Please be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and scheduling classes.

Q: Where can I see my lifetime Pell Grant usage? 
A: You may view your Pell Grant usage by logging into using the PIN number you created to file the FAFSA.

Q: Where can I get my PIN if I don’t remember it?
A: You may retrieve your PIN at

Q: How is the Pell percentage calculated?
A: The percentages are based on your annual award at fulltime enrollment status.

For instance: If your annual award for the 2011-2012 academic year was $5,550 and you attended full time both fall and spring terms, you used 100% of your lifetime limit. If you attended 9 credits for both fall and spring terms, you used 75% of your lifetime limit.

Q: I have questions about this, who do I call?
A: Our Financial Aid Representatives are available to discuss the change in the lifetime Pell Grant eligibility with you.

Federal Work StudyThe Federal Work Study Program is available to students who demonstrate financial need and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. In order to request Federal Work Study, you must complete the Work Study Application and include a Resume. The application is available at The Division of Student Services, Room 012.

S.E.O.G.The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is given to undergraduate students who demonstrate extreme financial need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

LoansThere are three types of low interest Federal Loans available: 

  • loans are for students to help cover the costs of their school expenses. These loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized. Stafford Loans are loans that students can take out to pay for education expenses. They are part of the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
    • Subsidized: A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. You will not be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment. (Deferment is a period during which a borrower who meets certain criteria may suspend making loan payments.) The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during these periods.
    • Unsubsidized: An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You'll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. (Disbursement is the release of loan funds to the school for delivery to the borrower.) In other words, your interest can grow while you're in school.

    PLUS Loans

    Direct PLUS loans are meant to help your parents cover the costs of your undergraduate school expenses. Your parents do not have to prove financial need, but the loans are unsubsidized - this means that the interest accumulates while you are in school.  They are loans your parents can take out to pay for your education expenses - you must be their financial dependent and enrolled at least half time. Also, your parents must pass a credit check. PLUS loans come directly from the U.S. Department of Education under the Direct Loan Program.

Current Interest Rates  on student loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2013 are as follows:

Direct Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans 3.86% Fixed rate

Parent Plus Loan 6.41%

The current default rate at KVCTC is 18.2%- 3 year rate

Other Aid Programs


West Virginia Higher Education GrantThe West Virginia Higher Education Grant is available to full time undergraduate West Virginia residents who demonstrate financial need. You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by April 15th, enroll as a full time student, complete 24 semester hours per year(Fall and Spring Semester only) and have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. The grant pays a scaled award based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The maximum grant is based on available funding each year, but may not exceed mandatory tuition and fees charged to all students. The EFC cap on the grant is $6,000. Contact the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission Grant Program office on the web or call 304.558.4614 for more information.

Promise ScholarshipThe Promise Scholarship is available to qualifying students who maintain a high school GPA of 3.0, an ACT score of 22 with a minimum 20 on the subtests, or a combined score of 1020 on the SAT with at least a score of 490 in critical reading and 480 in math. 

Promise students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA and complete 30 semester hours each academic year while in college. Students must enroll full time in order to receive Promise. It is suggested that full time Promise students take 15 hours per semester. Students may use the summer term to complete the requirements of the Promise Scholarship but, Promise does not pay for summer enrollment. Classes taken before receipt of the scholarship do not count towards Promise requirements. 

First year Promise students may make a 2.75 GPA during the first year, but be aware that the cumulative GPA must be at least 3.0 by the end of the second year.

Appeals cannot be granted for failure to maintain the basic requirements of the scholarship. In some limited cases deferments may be granted by the school for medical reasons. Once the scholarship is lost it cannot be reinstated. Students pursuing a bachelor's degree may receive Promise for eight semesters. Students pursuing associate degrees may receive Promise for four semesters. Contact our office in Room 012, or call 205-6600.

The deadline to apply is March 1st. You may visit the Promise Board website or call 304.558-4614.

HEAPS GrantThe HEAPS Grant is available to part time West Virginia resident undergraduates who have financial need with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Funds are awarded based on availability. HEAPS funds will not reflect on student accounts until after the drop/add period ends.

Scholarships Administered by HEPCThe West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission administers several scholarships including the Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship. 

For more information on all funding and requirements for state-level fincial aid, go to


AmeriCorpsAmeriCorps is a national initiative that involves people of all ages and backgrounds in strengthening America's communities through service. In exchange for service, members receive education awards. AmeriCorps members must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and at least 17 years of age. Additional information and applications may be obtained by calling 1.800.94.ACORPS (1.800.942.2677). If you receive an AmeriCorps award you will need to notify both the Division of Student Services and the Cashier's Office.

You must report the source and amount of all other aid resources you are receiving to the Division of Student Services. 

Federal Financial Aid (SEOG, WV Higher Education Grant, College Work Study, Direct Student Loans, and Parent Loan) is supplemental to all other aid resources.

Other aid resources include funds such as: Scholarships, Waivers, AmeriCorps, WIA, JobCorps and Vocational Rehabilitation.

Phone: (304) 205.6700
Online: Apply Now!
2001 Union Carbide Drive
S. Charleston, WV 25303

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and does not discriminate against any person because of race, gender, age,color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin. For more information: Michelle Bissell, Title IX Coordinator (304) 205-6600.