Latest Events

No events



Military Veterans at KVCTC

military friendly school logo 300 KVCTC is designated as a Military Friendly School

Description of Benefits
Post 9/11 GI Bill/Chapter 33: The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Apply at

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30:(active duty or non active duty) must have served in the United States Armed Forces for a minimum period of two to four years and have been HONORABLY discharged prior to returning to school.

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606: (selected reserve) must have you completed Basic Training and AIT and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or West Virginia National Guard Unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available from your assigned unit.

Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency (Contingency Operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists, who are activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (disabled Veterans) must make application with case worker and have disability rated. Veterans Certifying Official will receive Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-Entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational AssistanceProgram/Chapter 35:(for dependents and spouses of 100 % disabled or deceased Veterans) must complete Form 22-5490 and submit to Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established a Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the dependent/spouse.

Apply for Benefits
Active Duty and Reserve Benefits (Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607, Post 9/11 GI Bill.)
Instructions how to apply:

  • Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at: VA Form 22-1990
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Apply for Admission to KVCTC.
  • Mail or bring a copy of your DD214 to the Division of Student Services, Room 012.
  • At the end of every month you will need to contact the VA to certify your enrollment. You may contact them either of two ways: Call 1.877.823.2378 or log on:

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

  • Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at: VA Form 22-5490
  • When you have been approved the Veterans Administration will send a “Certificate of Eligibility”. You need to submit this certificate to the Division of Student Services, 2001 Union Carbide Drive, South Charleston WV, 25303. Fax 304-205-6771
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Apply for Admission to KVCTC.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

  • Veteran must submit application with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor VA Regional Office, 640 4th Ave., Huntington, WV 25701 – or 1.800.827.1000 (VA Form 28-1900)
  • When application is determined the VA will send KVCTC an Authorization and Certification of Entrance in Rehabilitation and Certification Status.
  • Apply for Admission to KVCTC.

If you have used your GI Bill at another institution and are changing majors or institutions (Chapter 30, 1606, 33, 35 and 1607

  • Complete form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 22-1995.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add KVCTC to your list of schools.
  • Chapter 35 students must complete (VA Form 22-5495)

How to Apply for Reserve or National Guard Tuition Assistance

  • (WV National Guard)
  • Requests need to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start of each semester.
  • (Army Reserves)
    • Requests need to be submitted 2 to 3 weeks before each semester
    • Paper forms also need to be submitted
    • Grades need to be submitted after each semester

How to Apply for Troops to Teachers 
National Office 1.800.231.6242, e-mail:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Veteran Contacts

Department of Veterans Affairs
You may obtain information on Compensation and Pension by calling 800.827.1000 • TDD 800.829.4833
Enrollment Certification Number

Direct Deposit
Questions about your VA Benefits
Toll-Free 1.888.GIBILL1 (1.888.442.4551)

Toll-Free Number Provides:

  • Information on VA education benefits 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
  • Ability to ask questions
  • Obtain information on your own benefits account if you receive Montgomery GI Bill benefits
  • Speak with an Education Case Manager Monday - Friday during normal business hours.
  • Department of Veteran Affairs Website

Phone: (304) 205.6700
Online: Apply Now!
2001 Union Carbide Drive
S. Charleston, WV 25303

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and does not discriminate against any person because of race, gender, age,color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin. For more information: Michelle Bissell, Title IX Coordinator (304) 205-6600.