Latest Events

No events


Q: What is the difference between a grant, a scholarship and a loan?
A: A grant is a gift. It does not have to be repaid, and it is based on the student's financial need. A scholarship is an achievement award which is usually based on academic grades, abilities, skills, test scores, class rank, etc. Loans are funds borrowed by the student and/or parent. In most cases, loans must be repaid with an interest charge, and there is a specified repayment period. 

Q: I can't access MyKVCTC. What should I do?
A: Contact the Division of Student Services at 304.205.6600.

Q: I don't see anything missing on my financial aid requirements. What should I do? 
A: Please re-read the information on the site. You may only need to open your Electronic Award on MyKVCTC and accept or decline the funds. Electronic awards should be available after April 15 each year. 

Q: Is there a maximum income level that will make me ineligible for financial aid? 
A: No. Income level does not automatically disqualify you for financial aid. Other variables, such as the number in the family and the number attending college, are taken into consideration. 

Q: What are the factors that determine need? 
A: Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need. Other variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various allowances to income and assets. 

Q: What are my chances of receiving financial aid?
A: The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some form of financial assistance will be offered at the school you choose. The assistance may include student or parent loans.

Q: In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?
A: Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA in January but no later than April 15.

Q: What happens if I fail to submit my electronic award?
A: All students must submit the Electronic Award within 21 days of issue by viewing the award and accepting or declining offered aid. Failure to submit will result in cancellation of your award. You will need to contact The Division of Student Services if you want to have your award re-instated. SEOG and Federal Work Study cannot be re-instated. Awards will be re-instated immediately but funds may not be available until all required documentation has been received and reviewed.

Q: What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
A: All paperwork should be submitted to the KVCTC Division of Student Services by June 30 for fall, by November 30 for spring and by April 30 for summer.

Q: I missed the deadline, can I still apply for financial aid?
A: Yes, you must be enrolled at the time funds are disbursed and you must be making academic progress. You must be prepared to cover your expenses from your own resources if you apply late. Fall Paperwork turned in July: Expect disbursement delay until mid to late September. Fall Paperwork turned in August: Expect disbursement delay until mid to late October. Fall Paperwork turned in September: Expect disbursement delay until mid to late November. Spring paperwork turned in December/January: Expect disbursement mid to late February & mid to late March respectively. Summer paperwork turned in after April 30: Summer aid is generally limited to remaining loan eligibility for the aid year. If you miss the April 30, deadline, we will not offer summer aid. You must prepare to cover summer expenses from your own resources.

Q: Why didn't I receive an Award?
A: If you do not receive an electronic award, you should contact the Division of Student Services. We may not have received an electronic copy of your SAR or there may be problems with your SAR. You may contact us at: 304.205.6600 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . We are located in Room 012.

Q: What if I need help paying tuition out of pocket?
A: KVCTC participates in the Tuition Management Systems payment program. This tuition management program offers families the ability to make monthly payments while the student is in college, and eliminates the need to make lump sum payments prior to the beginning of each semester.

Families can budget an amount not to exceed total yearly charges less any financial aid that will be received. No interest is charged by TMS but there is a one-time minimal fee each year.

  • 10 monthly installments begin June 10th (but you can enroll anytime)*
  • No interest charged, just a one-time low annual fee
  • Automatic education payment Life Insurance covers balance of your payment plan
  • Enroll anytime at the TMS website or toll free at 1-800-356-8329
  • Multiple payment methods are accepted with 24 hour phone or web access, including e-payment options. Maximize your savings and income by utilizing this interest-free monthly payment option. It is low cost, easy to enroll in, and payments are simple as well.

*10, 9, and 8 month payment plans must account for fall and spring balances.

Q. What is KVCTC's Title IV code?
A: 040386

Q: Will I be required to submit additional forms to KVCTC other than the FAFSA?
A: Possibly, if you are selected for review in a process called verification we will contact you via email about additional paperwork requirements.

Q: What does it cost to attend KVCTC?
A: Please see our Cost of Attendance page.

Q: Can part-time students receive financial aid? 
A: Yes. Generally, a student must be enrolled a minimum of 6 semester hours to receive federal financial aid.

Q: Will it affect my federal financial aid if I drop a class during the semester?
A: If your federal aid has paid to your account, your award will not be reduced. However, you may violate satisfactory academic progress (KVCTC SAP) rules if you continually register and drop classes. If your aid has not paid to your account, your Pell grant will be reduced. 

Q: Will it affect my WV Higher Ed Grant or Promise Scholarship if I drop a class during the semester?
A: Yes. Students receiving WV Higher Ed Grants must complete 24 semester hours each fall and spring. Dropping a class may affect your eligibility for the next aid year. Students receiving Promise Scholarships must complete 30 semester hours each fall, spring and summer. Dropping a class may affect your eligibility for the next aid year. 

Q: Will my aid change if I change enrollment? 
A: Possibly. If you change enrollment prior to your aid payment, please contact our office to determine how your aid may be affected if you drop below full time status (less than 12 hours) or below half time status (less than 6 hours): 304.205.6600 or  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Q: Do I need a separate form to apply for a Student Loan? 
A: You need only file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All first time borrowers or students new to KVCTC must complete loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note.

Q: Do I need a separate form to apply for a Parent Loan?
A: Yes. Parent Loans are credit worthy loans. All parents who accept a parent loan (PLUS) should complete a credit check as soon as possible. If the parent plus loan is approved, the parent must sign a Master Promissory Note.

Q: How can I apply for work study? 
A: Complete the Federal Work Study Application, available in the Division of Student Services. You may qualify if you demonstrate financial need and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

Q: What does it take to be considered an independent student? 
A:Any one of the following will result in a student being considered independent for federal student aid programs: 

    • born before 01/01/1991


    • a ward of the court


    • both parents deceased


    • a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces


    • legal dependents (other than a spouse) for which they provide ½ of support, married at the time of filing


    • emancipated minor (2013-2014 aid year)


    • homeless youth (2013-2014 aid year)


    • in legal guardianship while a minor (2013-2014 aid year)


    • or a graduate or professional student

Students who do not meet the criteria of an Independent Student may ask for a dependency override. The US Dept of Education feels that students under 24 years of age should be assisted by their parents in educational expenses. You cannot live with your parents and request a dependency override. A Financial Aid Committee will review your documents and notify you by letter of the decision. You will be asked to provide the following: 

    • a letter, on letterhead, from clergy, social worker or a counselor indicating why there is an estrangement from parents


    • income information including:


    • tax return transcripts


    • Verification Worksheet or other pertinent income information

Phone: (304) 205.6700
Online: Apply Now!
2001 Union Carbide Drive
S. Charleston, WV 25303

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and does not discriminate against any person because of race, gender, age,color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin. For more information: Michelle Bissell, Title IX Coordinator (304) 205-6600.