Latest Events

No events

Admissions Procedures

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College (KVCTC) is an open-door admissions institution. 

If you have any questions, email  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

General AdmissionKVCTC admits, as regular students, individuals with a high school diploma or GED. KVCTC admits as "conditional students" other persons who believe they can benefit from a college education. (Note: "conditional students" will be evaluated individually by the Registrar and informed of the information required for admission to KVCTC.) All applicants who have graduated from high school or completed GED requirements and enrolling in a certificate or associate degree program, must submit a high school transcript or GED score report by the end of the semester of attendance. Admission to KVCTC does not imply eligibility for, or admission to, any specific program for which more stringent entrance requirements have been established. 


Re-Entry StudentsA student who interrupts his/her studies by failing to register and/or attend classes during a fall or spring semester is required to re-submit transcripts if he/she has earned additional credits at another institution.


Non-Degree Seeking StudentsStudents who wish to take credit courses for personal enrichment, job improvement, or some reason other than seeking a degree or certificate are permitted to enroll as non-degree seeking students. These students must submit a completed application form to the Student Services Admissions Office.

A student who wishes to change his status from non-degree to a degree or certificate program, must complete the necessary forms in the Division of Student Services to change his/her admission status. The student must then complete the degree-seeking admission requirements.


Transfer StudentsStudents may transfer to KVCTC from other accredited post-secondary institutions. The transfer student is required to submit a completed application for admission and present an official transcript of all previous college work to the Registrar's Office. An evaluation will be made of each transcript, after which the student will be notified by the Registrar of all transferable courses. Students who transfer must complete 3 of the last 23 hours of the certificate or associate degree program at KVCTC. A student who fails to acknowledge attendance at any college or university in which he/she has previously been registered is subject to immediate dismissal.


Early-Entry High School StudentsHigh school students with junior or senior standing may enroll in courses at KVCTC, provided they meet course prerequisites and the following requirements:


  • Completion of a consent form signed by the high school principal or counselor and parent. 
  • The student must have a 3.0 (B) average.
  • Juniors may take classes totaling no more than 4 credit hours per semester.
  • Seniors may enroll for no more than 7 credit hours per semester unless otherwise approved by the Dean for Academic Affairs or his/her designee.
  • Early entry students must meet prerequisite test scores before registering for college-level English and/or math courses.


Conditional AdmissionOther persons 18 years of age or older may be admitted on a conditional basis but shall be evaluated at the conclusion of each semester of enrollment to determine whether college-level academic performance indicates an ability to continue their studies. Neither regular nor conditional admission shall ensure the entry of applicants into specific programs.

Conditional admission may be granted in instances where institutional officials have determined that the student has the potential to successfully complete college-level work. Such student must complete all necessary developmental courses and pass the GED before being admitted as a regular degree-seeking student. Conditionally admitted students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

International StudentsForeign nationals who wish to attend KVCTC as non-immigrant aliens must comply with the following policy:

  • Each applicant must satisfy the general admission requirements.
  • Each applicant must provide a transcript of all previous secondary and post-secondary education completed.
  • Each applicant must provide evidence of satisfactory command of the English language as evidenced by composite TOEFL score of 450 or better or through demonstration to a KVCTC English faculty member that the English language has proficiently been achieved. (NOTE: Information on TOEFL may be secured by writing TOEFL, 1755 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036.)
  • Each applicant who plans to enter the country to attend KVCTC must indicate that he/she has sufficient funds for tuition, fees, books and living expenses through a notarized affidavit of support. Before an I-20 form is issued, the applicant must submit proof of availability of tuition for one academic year to the Business Office.
  • Applicants who plan to transfer to KVCTC from other post-secondary institutions, must supply documentation of satisfactory academic progress and proof of no prior disciplinary infractions.

If any applicant completes the requirements above but does not register, or registers for less than full-time (12 hours or more) the Registrar's Office will notify the Immigration Office immediately.


Residency DeterminationStudents enrolling in a West Virginia public institution of higher education shall be classified as a resident or non-resident for admission, for tuition and fee purposes by the institutional officer designated by the President of the College. The decision shall be based upon information furnished by the student and all other relevant information. The Registrar's Office is authorized to require such written documents, affidavits, verifications, or other evidence as are deemed necessary to establish the residence of a student. It is the responsibility of the student in establishing residency for tuition and fee purposes. 

If there is a question of residence, the matter must be brought to the attention of the Registrar and decided upon prior to registration. False or misleading statements concerning residence shall be subject to disciplinary action and the person involved will be charged non-resident fees for each session previously attended.

Residency within the State of West Virginia means adoption of the State as a fixed permanent home and involves personal presence within the State with no intent on the part of the person to return to another state or country. West Virginia residency may be established upon the completion of at least 12 months of continued residence within the State prior to the date of registration, provided that such 12 months residency is not primarily for the purpose of attendance at any institution of learning in West Virginia.

Establishment of West Virginia residency with less than 12 months residence, prior to the date of registration, must be supported by proof of positive and unequivocal action, such as, but not limited to, purchasing a West Virginia home, paying West Virginia property tax, filing West Virginia income tax returns, registering to vote in West Virginia and the actual exercising of such rights, registering of motor vehicles in West Virginia, possessing a valid West Virginia driver's license and full-time employment within the State.

Minors are defined by the West Virginia Code (2-2-10) as persons under 18 years of age. The residence of a minor shall follow that of the parents at all times, except in extremely rare cases where emancipation can be proved beyond question. The residence of the father, or the residence of the mother, if the father is deceased, is the residence of the unmarried or emancipated minor. If the father and the mother have separate places of residence, the minor takes the residence of the parent with whom he or she lives or to whom he or she has been assigned by court order. The parents of a minor will be considered residents of West Virginia if their residence is within the State.

An emancipated minor may be considered as an adult in determining residence, provided satisfactory evidence is presented that neither of his/her parents, if living, contribute to his/her support nor claim him/her as a dependent for federal or state income tax purposes.

In the event that the fact of emancipation is established, the emancipated minor assumes all responsibilities of an adult to establish residence for tuition and fee purposes. Proof must be provided that emancipation was not achieved principally for the purpose of establishing residence for attendance at an institution of higher education.

A student 18 years of age or over may be classified as a resident if (1) the parents were residing in the State at the time the student reached majority and such student has not acquired a residence in another state, or (2) as an adult the student has established a bona fide residence in the State of West Virginia. Bona fide residence in West Virginia means that the student must not be in the State primarily to attend an educational institution and must be the State for purposes other than to attempt to qualify for resident status.

A non-resident student, who reaches the age of 18 while a student in any West Virginia educational institution, by virtue of such fact alone, does not attain residence in West Virginia for admission or tuition and fee payment purpose.

An adult student who has been classified as an out-of-state resident and who seeks resident status in West Virginia must assume the burden of proving conclusively that he/she has established residence in West Virginia with the intention of making his/her permanent home in the State. The intent to remain indefinitely in West Virginia is evidenced not only by a person's statements but also by his or her actions.

The residence of a married person is determined by the same rules of residency that would apply if he/she were not married.

An individual who is on active military service or an employee of the federal government may be classified as a resident for the purpose of payment of tuition and fees and provided that he/she established residence in West Virginia prior to entrance into federal service, entered the federal service from West Virginia, and has at no time in federal service claimed or established residence in another state.

An alien in the United States on a resident visa who has filed a petition for naturalization in the naturalization court, and who has established a bona fide residence in West Virginia may be eligible for resident classification, provided he/she is in the State for any purpose other than to attempt to qualify for residency status as a student.

A person who formerly resided in the State of West Virginia and who would have been eligible for an in-state residency classification at the time of his/her departure from the state may be immediately eligible for classification as a West Virginia resident provided such person returns to West Virginia within a one-year period of time and satisfies the conditions of Section 2 regarding proof of residence and intent to remain permanently in West Virginia.

The decision of the designated institutional officer charged with the determination of residency classification may be appealed to the Institutional Committee on Residency Appeals. The decision of the Institutional Committee on Residency Appeals may also be appealed to the Provost. The decision of the Provost is final.

Compliance with Military Selective Service ActState law provides that a male person who has attained the age of eighteen (18) years may not enroll in a state-supported institution of postsecondary education unless he is in compliance with the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S. Code, Appendix 451, et seq. and the amendments thereto). Also, a male person may not receive a loan, grant, scholarship or other financial assistance for postsecondary higher education funded by state revenue, including federal funds or gifts and grants accepted by this State, or receive a student loan guaranteed by the State unless he is in compliance with the Military Selective Service Act. Selective Service Act registration information should be available at all U.S. Postal Service facilities and may be available at some high schools. The Selective Service System also provides information through the Web site

Phone: (304) 205.6700
Online: Apply Now!
2001 Union Carbide Drive
S. Charleston, WV 25303

Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and does not discriminate against any person because of race, gender, age,color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin. For more information: Michelle Bissell, Title IX Coordinator (304) 205-6600.